Build your own app this summer!
The ISE Coding Garage is a FREE summer program for high school students interested in learning more about software engineering and developing their own apps. The ISE Coding Garage is sponsored by ISE, the University of Iowa Electrical and Computer Engineering Department, and Iowa City Area Development (ICAD).
Students meet once a week for one hour to enhance their development skills and design their own apps. ISE interns and other experienced ISE programmers will be available to answer participants’ questions and provide feedback during the process. Food and drinks are also provided to the students during each session.
At the end of the program, students will present their app idea to friends, family, and a panel of judges for a shot at winning cash for their newly created innovation!
What’s New for 2019?
This summer participants may follow one of two paths depending on their level of experience and desire to learn more:
- The Introductory level is for students with some coding experience, either through a high school class, robotics, or learning on their own. At the end of the summer, they will have created their first mobile app using basic technologies and concepts.
- The Advanced level is for students who have created a mobile app, are comfortable with Java programming, or have a desire to develop a deeper skill set. They will explore more advanced topics such as integrating an app with cloud services, persisting mobile data with database storage, and using modern Android architecture components – and be eligible for more prize money.
You don’t need to decide right way. During the program you can determine if you want to pursue advanced topics and which ones you want to learn more about. It’s all up to you!
Ready to Participate?
Think you might be interested in joining the ISE Coding Garage this summer? Click the button below to sign up. Deadline to register is Wednesday, June 5th.
Coding Garage Schedule 2019 (9 Weeks)
Dates: June 11 – August 6 (Tuesdays)
Weeks 1-4 – Download the Android SDK and follow the self-guided lessons.
Weeks 5-8 – Write your app.
Week 9 – Present app to a panel of judges.
Sessions held on Tuesday nights from 5pm – 6pm
Location: U of I BioVentures Center
2500 Crosspark Rd
Coralville, IA 52241
- Be a self-driven individual attending a local high school or homeschool
- Have a basic level of coding experience, either through a high school class, robotics, or self-learning
- Have a laptop to use for the summer
- Have an Android Phone (note: we have a few available for loan on a first come, first serve basis)
- Must be available to attend at least 6 of the 8 sessions
- Must be present for the final presentation (August 6th) to be eligible for prizes
|1st Place = $150||1st Place = $300|
|2nd Place = $100||2nd Place = $175|
|3rd Place = $50||3rd Place = $75|
Contact Daniela at: firstname.lastname@example.org.